20 Nov Pumpkin Rolls (Sourdough)
- 30g active starter
- 15g sugar
- 50g water
- 100g all-purpose flour
- 180g of the now active sweet levain prepared 6-10 hours previous
- 150 grams warm milk
- 150 grams pumpkin puree (make sure you are using a pumpkin puree, not a pumpkin pie filling that has added ingredients)
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 42 grams (3 tablespoons butter), softened or melted
- 300 grams bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 80 grams whole wheat flour
- 7 grams salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or ½ tablespoon cinnamon powder, 1 teaspoon dry ginger powder, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ⅛ teaspoon clove powder)
- 1 egg
- Dash of salt
- 2 teaspoons of water
- 6 pecans, halved
- Activating starter 6-10 hours
- Fermentation 2-3 hours
- Proofing 3-5 hours
- Baking 18-20 minutes
1. Mix sweet levain in a bowl. Cover and allow to activate for 6-10 hours.
2. Mix all dough ingredients together until a smooth dough forms.
3. Cover and let ferment 2-3 hours.
4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Divide by weight (about 83 grams each) or by quartering dough and dividing each quarter into three pieces to create 12 total.
5. Flour the work surface. Take a piece of dough and roll under hands into a rope shape. The rope should be about 16 inches long. Make a loop on one third of the rope leaving a short 2 to 3 inch section and a long 5 to 6 inch section. Take the long section of rope and wrap it around the loop 2 to 3 times until length is gone, then tuck end under the roll. Take the short section of the rope from the other side and wrap it around the loop once to bring the ends together under the roll. Press ends under roll to seal shape. Place pumpkin shape onto parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the pieces of dough. Rolls should be spaced with at least 3 inches between them, use another parchment lined baking sheet if you run out of room.
6. Cover shaped rolls and proof in a warm place 3 – 5 hours.
7. Preheat oven to 375º
8. Whisk egg wash ingredients together. Brush wash over the surface of the pumpkin rolls.
9. Place rolls into oven and spray walls of oven with water. Close oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes. Color will darken slightly and inner temperature should be at least 180º
10. Take pecans and cut in half, lengthwise. These will become the decorative “stems” for the pumpkin rolls. Place pecan halves upright in the center of the rolls after baking.
11. Rolls are ready to enjoy once they are cool enough to handle or after 30 minutes of cooling. Enjoy with butter, a special apple or pumpkin butter, or plain.