07 Apr Sourdough Whole Wheat with Honey Millet Mix and Seeds
- 500g Hard Red Wheat Flour (mine was fresh milled and purchased from Moon Family Farm)
- 375g water
- 100g active starter (I used a white 100% hydration starter)
- 12g sea salt
- 100g millet (coarse milled)
- optional: 30g honey
- 80g hot water
- 30g toasted pumpkin seeds
- 8g poppyseeds
1. Prepare starter at least 6 hours before mixing dough.
2. Mix 500g hard red wheat flour and 375g water for a long autolyse. Autolyse for at least 1 hour.
3. After autolyse, massage in starter. This is when the timeline for the bulk fermentation begins.
4. Right after starter addition, combine millet, sea salt, hot water, and honey (if using) to create millet porridge mixture. Allow to sit for 40 mins. for millet to absorb the water. After 40 mins. has passed, fold millet mixture into dough.
5. 30 minutes after millet mixture addition, fold in pumpkin seeds and poppyseeds.
6. Room temperature fermentation should be 3-4 hours, or cold fermented 24-48 hours. Optimal flavor comes from 48-hour cold fermentation.
7. Pre-shape dough and bench rest for 20 mins.
8. Prepare proofing basket with rice flour or polenta, fold dough into final shape.
9. Proof 1.5-3 hours at room temp or 8 hours in the refrigerator.
10. Preheat a dutch oven at 500 degrees.
11. Transfer dough to a large piece of parchment paper, score, and carefully place into preheated dutch oven.
12. Turn down oven to 450 degrees. Bake covered, 20 mins. Then, carefully take out of dutch oven and finish baking directly on rack for 20 mins.